Monday, August 20, 2012

Ellis Island, New York


Right after the visit to the Statue of Liberty (click here to view the blog entry on that), my friend Marga and I embarked the boat that brought us to Ellis Island. It's about a 5-minute ride from Lady Liberty.




 As you can see, this is where all the immigrants from all over the world, mostly Europeans, went first before making it in the Land of Opportunities.


Can you believe that this Great Hall was once packed to the brim by tired, starving families waiting to be called and released into America?


The one amazing thing that I learned from the Audio Tour of this building was  that only two of the ceiling bricks had to be replaced since the 1800s.


This was a simple test given to both adults and children during the health inspection, just to check if they had any mental disability of problems with hand-eye coordination. I decided to take a picture of this one because as a child (and architect-to-be, even at that early age!) I had similar toys to this one and I remember loving them.


This is me outside the Ellis Island Building, with the sign. :)


Posting this photo again just in case you wanted to know the prices. Again, getting the ticket with an audio tour for an additional 6 USD was definitely worth it! I learned so much about both the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.


Another view of the Manhattan Skyline as we were back on the boat and making our way towards The City.


After that, we met up with our friend Lisa on Times Square!


We had some Shake Shack and I got the Shake Stack. It was super yummy!

'Til next time!


1 comment: